As we’re rediscovering the joys of cooking during lockdown, we’re also realizing, once again, just how important and powerful what we eat is. What’s even better is that there are so many foods out there offering health benefits that could assist with disease prevention. Health benefits, such as antioxidants, vitamins and minerals are found in bulk, especially when you combine them. Which is exactly what The South African Mushroom
Farmers’ Association have done for you.
It’s no secret that turmeric is incredibly good for you! This week we’ve paired mushrooms and turmeric in spicy spring onion and mushroom pancakes.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- According to Kris Gunnars (BSc) on healthline.com, Turmeric may be the most effective nutritional supplement in existence.Many high-quality studies show that it has major benefits for your body and brain.
- It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. Curcumin (the main active ingredient in turmeric) has powerful antioxidant effects. It neutralizes free radicals on its own but also stimulates your body’s own antioxidant enzymes. Both its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects greatly contribute towards a stronger immune system.
- The consumption of curcumin has also been linked to improved brain health, lower risk of heart disease, and it is used in the treatment of arthritis. It certainly is one of nature’s best medicines!
Spicy Spring Onion & Mushroom Pancakes
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 XL free-range eggs
- 250ml water
- 1/2 cup spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 small green cabbage, finely sliced
- 500g white button mushrooms, sliced
- Neutral oil for frying
- For the dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup Japanese mayonnaise *
- 2 Tbs Sriracha
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fry the mushrooms in a large saute pan on high heat with a little oil. Season.
- Wait until they have released their water and then set aside in a sieve to drain any remaining water.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and spices.
- Add the spring onions, cabbage and mushrooms and mix well.
- Make a well in the center and add the eggs and water.
- Mix them in the center and then combine well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Wipe a large non-stick pan with paper towel dipped in oil.
- Place on medium high heat and dollop tablespoon size amounts of batter in the pan.
- Fry them until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- For the dipping sauce:
- Combine the mayonnaise, Sriracha and lime. Adjust amounts to taste.
- Serve the pancakes alongside little bowls of dipping sauce.
* What is Japanese mayonnaise?
Japanese mayonnaise (Kewpie mayo) has a rich egg flavor, is creamier in both color & texture, has a tangy and sweeter taste, and scores on the umami factor!
DISCLAIMER: This was sponsored by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association. The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association provided me with this recipe and associated image. All thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own and not influenced by the developing company, and / or its affiliates, in any way. The fact is, I’m crazy about mushrooms, and want to shout it from the rooftops anyway.