I love a good meal paired with the right wine! In celebration of National Red Wine day on 28 August the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association sent me some mushroom and wine pairings. One of my favourites has been the mushroom chicken and rice soup paired with the Haute Cabrière Unwooded Pinot Noir.
I have often spoken about the wonderful immune-boosting and healing powers of mushrooms. Paired with chicken and rice soup, you have one of the healthiest soups possible. Chicken soup is therapeutic because it’s packed with immune-supporting minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, silicon, and sulphur. Add to it the anti-oxidants and reservatrol in wine, and you have a meal that is not only healthy but delicious too!
Mushroom Chicken And Rice Soup Paired with Haute Cabrière Unwooded Pinot Noir
- 6 garlic cloves, very finely sliced (use a mandoline if possible)
- 60ml neutral vegetable oil like canola or peanut
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 litres chicken stock
- ⅔ cup white short grain rice, rinsed
- 700g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large bunch kale, about 200g of destemmed leaves, roughly shredded
- 500g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lemon
- Fresh dill for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium. Add garlic and cook gently until lightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a small heatproof jar or bowl. Add in the chilli flakes, stir and set aside.
- In a large pot cook the onion in a drizzle of olive oil until lightly golden.
- Pour in 2 litres chicken stock, rinsed rice, boneless chicken thighs,
- And stir to combine. Simmer uncovered until the chicken is cooked through. 10-15 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking- sauté mushrooms until golden brown in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Season and set aside.
- Once cooked, using tongs, transfer chicken to a board and shred meat with two forks.
- Add kale, mushrooms and shredded chicken back to the pot. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until kale is just cooked and chicken is warmed through.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Squeeze in lemon juice and adjust seasoning.