Boil ’em, mash ’em, or bake ’em… everybody loves potatoes! This mushroom and potato bake is no exception.
Potatoes have been a popular food throughout history. They’re easy to grow, easy to cook, versatile, and appealing. It makes sense to have a day dedicated to them. Since 19 August is national potato day (and potatoes go so well with mushrooms) The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association and I thought it would be fun to share some potato and mushroom recipes.
This weekend we are celebrating Women’s day here in South Africa. Public holidays are a time when our family get together and braai, and what better braai accompaniment than potato bake?
Mushroom and Potato Bake
I love this recipe because it can easily be doubled (or more) to serve just your family, or a larger crowd.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1hr 10 min
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 large potatoes
- 225g white button mushrooms & 225g portabellini, chopped
- 1 tsp dried herbs 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 ml (1 cup) low fat cream
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) corn flour or cake flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC, coat an oven proof dish well with butter or spray & cook spray.
- Peel the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool down. Thinly slice the potatoes and layer a quarter of the slices in the base of the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and dot with bits of butter.
- Arrange a quarter of the sliced mushrooms on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with some of the herbs, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layering in the same order, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Stir the corn flour into the cream until smooth. Season the cream lightly with salt and pepper and pour over the potatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Best served with a crispy salad.
DISCLAIMER: This was sponsored by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association. The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association provided me with this recipe and associated image. All thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own and not influenced by the developing company, and / or its affiliates, in any way. The fact is, I’m crazy about mushrooms, and want to shout it from the rooftops anyway.