These amazing brownies have no flour or sugar, making them healthier than most!
Chocolate brownies are one of those nostalgic foods that bring back memories of my childhood. It’s not something my mother made often (she was a forerunner of the modern day ‘crunchy mom’) but it was a treat when she did. They were always, and still are, my favourite.
As a so-called ‘crunchy mom’ I am always experimenting and finding ways to make healthier versions of my childhood favourites for Lexi.
People live for pleasure and one of the ways they get it is food. If you deprive children (or anyone) of these pleasure foods they crave them more. Obviously, over-consumption of any food, even healthy alternatives, can have a detrimental effect on health. Recent studies, however, have shown that consumption (in moderation of course) of cocoa powder has many health benefits. So eating one of these healthy brownies occasionally is actually a good thing!
Makes 16 brownies
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (must be at least 70% cocoa)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup erythritol / xylitol of sweetener of your choice
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 190°C.
- Melt the butter.
- On low speed mix butter, cocoa powder, nuts, chocolate chips, sweetener, vanilla, and eggs until the batter is smooth and fluffy.
- Grease a 20 x 20cm dish with butter and additional cocoa powder. Pour the mixture evenly in the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- As difficult as it is, resist the temptation to eat them straight out of the oven. The longer you leave the brownies to cool the more they will firm up. This makes them easier to cut and handle. It’s worth the wait, I promise!
- These brownies must be kept in the fridge because they contain butter, which tends to melt at room temperature.
RESOURCES: 11 Health and Nutrition Benefits of Cocoa Powder – https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cocoa-powder-nutrition-benefits