Mother’s day is fast approaching! Partners, take note… This year gift shopping may be a bit of a challenge, so why not make a fantastic breakfast! I’m a huge fan of tacos (of all kinds) and these fully loaded breakfast tacos are sure to hit the spot.
Super Moms Need Superfoods
We all know that our moms perform some super hero worthy acts on a daily basis. They need superfoods to give them the strength to do this. Superfoods offer an abundance of health benefits, such as anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals. While normal foods do contain nutrients, superfoods offer them in greater quantities and/or offer the more difficult to find elements. These fully loaded breakfast tacos are packed with mushrooms that do just that! Moms and super heroes don’t get days off, so they can’t afford to get sick. Mushrooms are one of the greatest immune boosters. Some varieties of mushrooms (like the button mushrooms in this recipe) contain lentinan and beta-glucans, both of which are good for improving your immune system. You can find more superfood mushroom recipes at http://mushroominfo.co.za/superfoods
Fully Loaded Breakfast Tacos
Makes 2 large tacos
- 1 cup baby button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed & drained
- ½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp Mexican / taco spice
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbs butter
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ⅛ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small fresh chilli, finely sliced
- 2 large flour tortillas
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh lime wedges, for serving
- Fry mushrooms in a drizzle of olive oil until golden brown. Season with salt, pepper and taco spice. Add black beans and corn and stir together until hot and flavours have mixed. Set aside and keep warm.
- Scramble eggs in simmering butter until done to your liking. Season. Keep warm.
- Prep the rest of your taco toppings.
- Toast your flour tortillas over a gas burner using tongs until charred on the edges and warm throughout. If you do not have a gas hob toast the tortillas in a dry pan until warm.
- Assemble the tacos by layering with the scrambled eggs, mushroom, bean and corn mix, fresh avocado, tomatoes, red onion and chilli.
- Squeeze over some lime juice and serve.
DISCLAIMER: This was sponsored by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association. The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association provided me with this recipe and associated image. All thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own and not influenced by the developing company, and / or its affiliates, in any way. The fact is, I’m crazy about mushrooms, and want to shout it from the rooftops anyway.